Updated Collins Bird Guide app released today
The best-selling Collins Bird Guide, universally recognised as the best European field guide available, has its newly updated app released today.
This definitive guide has now been expertly reimagined to create the ultimate interactive guide for passionate birders and casual birdwatchers alike. Winning the "Best Non-fiction Digital Book" category at the FutureBook Awards 2014, the app for iPad and iPhone provides everything needed to identify a species quickly and correctly in its version 1.3, out today 20 August 2015, and priced at £13.49.
Authored by Lars Svensson (text), Killian Mullarney and Dan Zetterström (illutrations), it combines world-class illustrations, comprehensive information about all the species encountered in Britain and Europe, videos plus 800 songs and calls, many recorded by Lars Svensson himself, for the most complete, hands-on field guide.
Key features of the upgrade are:
- More than 100 new calls added;
- An improved listing tool – now birders can use the app to record sightings and add the location and date to their lists;
- An innovative layout of confusable species – this is the only bird guide app that allows you to quickly view similar species based on expertly curated lists;
- A powerful filtering and localisation tool – search by user location, time of year and species;
- Unique and intuitive browsing navigation to quickly and easily swipe through family, species and different plumages;
- The most comprehensive location mapping of any bird guide app, thanks to exclusive use of the British Trust for Ornithology's Bird Atlas 2007-11 mapping data;
- Video Library footage of all 794 species featured;
|A new feature of the upgraded Collins Bird Guide App is the ability to sort birds by similarity and range.|
Features of the existing title include:
- Every European species covered: 794 species in total;
- More than 3,500 beautiful illustrations by Killian Mullarney and Dan Zetterström;
- More than 800 carefully selected songs and calls, many recorded personally by Lars Svensson;
- Intuitive design to help quick and easy swiping through family, species and plumages;
- Available in five languages
First published in 1999 and now in its second edition (2010), the Collins Bird Guide is the ultimate reference book for birders in Britain and Europe. It provides all the information needed to identify any species at any time of the year, covering size, habitat, range, identification and voice. Accompanying every species entry is a distribution map and illustrations showing the species in all major plumages (male, female, immature, in flight, feeding etc.). This definitive and highly respected text is included in full in the Collins Bird Guide App.